- Do you have resolutions for this year?
- Do you believe in New Year’s resolutions?
- achieve /uh-CHEEV/
- goal /gohl/
- divide /dih-VAHYD/
- mistake /mi-STEYK/
- the key to (something) /thuh kee too/
[verb] – to succeed in finishing something or reaching an aim, especially after a lot of work or effort
Sara finally achieved success in the art industry.
[noun] – an aim or purpose
Shin’s goal is to be a doctor.
[verb] – to (cause to) separate into parts or groups
Please divide the documents into smaller parts.
[noun] – an action, decision, or judgment that produces an unwanted or unintentional result
There’s been a mistake with my home address.
[idiom] – the best or only way to achieve something
The key to being healthy is eating fruits and vegetables.
Make value-driven resolutions
It’s easier to stay focused on your goal if it matches your priorities. Ask yourself: What is the most important thing in life?
Be specific with your goals
Be more specific when setting goals. For example, if you want to do more volunteering, think about the day, time, place, length, and mode of transportation.
Break down your resolution into smaller goals
Major changes can be challenging. Divide your resolutions into smaller tasks so they’re easier to do.
If difficult experiences are rewarded, they feel more enjoyable. If you plan to read more, reward yourself with a delicious drink when picking up a book. Or treat yourself to sushi after a yoga session.
See mistakes as chances for growth rather than failure. Keep in mind that persistence, not perfection, is the key to achieving your goals.
Make a detailed list of your goals, and don’t let failures stop you from moving forward!
True or False:
- It is easier to be focused on your goal if it matches what you want to achieve.
- Goals should be specific.
- It is not good to divide your goals into smaller ones.
- Rewarding yourself makes difficult challenges enjoyable.
- Perfection is the key to achieving your goals.
Fill in the blanks
|achieve||goal||divide||mistake||the key to|
- Our _______ this year is to help more children.
- Education is _______ success.
- I made a _______ in my order. Can I cancel it?
- They were not able to _______ the target sales this month.
- I’d like to _______ the students into five groups.