- Is baseball the most popular sport in your country? Why or why not?
- Who are your favorite athletes, and what makes them your favorites?
- aspect /AS-pekt/
- compare /kuhm-PAIR/
- impressive /im-PRES-iv /
- maintain /meyn-TEYN/
- admiration /ad-muh-REY-shuhn/
[noun] – one part of a situation, problem, subject, etc.
The cultural aspect of the city’s diversity is evident in its various festivals and celebrations throughout the year.
[verb] – to examine the similarities and differences between two or more things
The teacher asked the students to compare and contrast the themes of two classic novels.
[adjective] – if an object or achievement is impressive, you admire or respect it, usually because it is special, important, or very large
The size of the waterfall was so impressive that everyone admired its beauty.
[verb] – to continue to have; to keep in existence, or not allow to become less
She strives to maintain her garden’s beauty throughout the year by tending to it regularly.
[noun] – the feeling of admiring someone or something
Her admiration for his resilience grew as she learned more about his life’s challenges.
Known for his remarkable abilities in both aspects of the game, Ohtani was compared to the legendary Babe Ruth. Playing for the Los Angeles Angels, he displayed an impressive performance by leading the AL with 44 home runs, 20 stolen bases, and 95 RBIs. Although his pitching season was cut short due to injuries in August and September, Ohtani still managed to maintain a 3.14 ERA and 167 strikeouts in 23 starts. Expressing his desire to win after finishing second in the previous year’s voting, Ohtani mentioned through an interpreter, “My goal was to try to come out on top.” In Japan, where he began his professional career, Ohtani’s success was celebrated, receiving admiration from the government spokesperson, Hirokazu Matsuno. Meanwhile, Ronald Acuna of the Atlanta Braves emerged as the National League’s Most Valuable Player, securing a unanimous vote victory over Mookie Betts and Freddie Freeman of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Acuna’s exceptional performance, including leading the NL in various categories and contributing to the Braves’ 104 wins, marked a historic moment as both league MVP winners were unanimously chosen in the 2023 MLB season.
- Who recently won the American League Most Valuable Player award for the second time, and what challenges did they face during the 2023 season?
- How many first-place votes did Shohei Ohtani receive for the MVP award, and what does this indicate about his baseball skills?
- What comparison was made between Shohei Ohtani and another legendary baseball player?
- What team does Shohei Ohtani play for, and what notable achievements did he accomplish in the 2023 season?
- Despite facing injuries in the pitching season, what were Shohei Ohtani’s statistics in terms of ERA and strikeouts?
- Have you seen Shohei Ohtani play? If yes, how would you describe him as an athlete? If not, would you want to see him play? Why or why not?
- Have you ever been inspired by athletes like Shohei Ohtani or Ronald Acuna, who won major awards for their performances? If yes, how did their achievements impact your view of sports? If not, do you admire other athletes or achievements in sports? Why do you admire these athletes or their achievements?
- Do you think players like Shohei Ohtani, who excel in both pitching and hitting, set new standards for elite athletes in sports?
- How do you think Ohtani and Acuna winning unanimous MVP awards reflects changes in how baseball values versatile skills versus specialized expertise? How might this affect evaluating athletes in the future?
- What lessons could other sports or industries learn from Ohtani and Acuna winning unanimous MVPs in the same year about recognizing and rewarding exceptional talent and versatility?