Photo by © Nikkan Sports via
The Japan Times Sports
- Do you play sports?
- What are your hobbies?
- decide /dih-sahyd/
- participate /pahr-tis-uh-peyt/
- wrestler /res-uhlr/
- become /bih-kuhm/
- straight /strey/
[verb] to choose something, especially after thinking carefully about several possibilities
She decided to leave the company for a better opportunity.
[verb] to take part in an event or activity
He doesn’t like to participate in the discussion.
[noun] a person who wrestles as a sport
Dwayne Johnson is a professional wrestler.
[verb] to start to be
She wants to become a good badminton player.
[adjective] following one after another without an interruption
The team has three straight wins on the opening day of the tournament.
True or False:
- Kisenosato Yutaka is a basketball player.
- The New Year Grand Sumo Tournament runs for 15 days.
- Mitakeumi is a yokozuna.
- Kisenosato retired on January 16, 2019.
- Kisenosato is a Brazilian wrestler.
Complete the sentences by using the words in the box.
- They can’t _____ what to do with the remaining food from the party.
- The students _____ in many festival activities.
- I think being a _____ is a hard job.
- She wants to _____ a healthy and fit woman.
- She won five _____ games this season.