- Do you usually watch foreign movies with subtitles?
- Have you been to a hospital before?
- translation /trans-ley-shuhn/
- foreign /for-in/
- patient /pey-shuhnt/
- communicate /kuh-myoo-ni-keyt/
- prepare /pri-pair/
[noun] the activity or process of changing the words of one language into the words in another language that have the same meaning
Students read the English translations of some Japanese novels for their literature class.
[adjective] in or from a country that is not your own
Many foreign tourists visit old temples during summer.
[noun] a person who is receiving medical care, esp. in a hospital
The doctor told his patient to take a rest and take medicines.
[verb] to share information with others by speaking, writing, moving your body, or using other signals
Nowadays, it is easy to communicate with other people online.
[verb] to make or get something or someone ready for something that will happen in the future
Have you prepared for your entrance exam?
True or False:
- The Japanese health ministry will get language translators to work with some hospitals.
- Many doctors and hospital staff can communicate easily with foreign patients.
- The only way to help doctors and foreign patients communicate is by using a machine translator.
- Languages that need translation will depend on the hospital’s needs.
- The program will make hospitals all over Japan be prepared for the 2020 Olympics.
Complete the sentences by using the words in the box.
- The ________ recovered because he followed his doctor’s advice.
- Please ________ a bottle of water, some snacks, and towels for our trip tomorrow.
- Don’t worry, I have the English ________ of the map so we won’t get lost.
- Miki learned to speak in different ________ languages because she always travels abroad.
- As an artist, she has the ability to ________ with her fans smoothly.