- numerous /NOO-mer-uhs/
- flock /flok/
- pose /pohz/
- blunder /BLUHN-der/
- bough /bou/
The editor found numerous errors in the newspaper article.
[verb] to move or come together in large numbers
Fans are flocking to the concert hall to see their favorite idols.
[verb] to cause something, especially a problem or difficulty
The humid weather poses agricultural problems to farmers.
[noun] a serious mistake, usually caused by not taking care or thinking
The teacher made a blunder by getting her students’ names wrong.
[noun] a large branch of a tree
A tree bough fell on my neighbor’s car during the typhoon.
According to the park’s management office, the increasing number of tourists is good but this poses different security measures such as adding English signages and more security personnel. This is due to some blunders committed by tourists such as breaking cherry blossom boughs to get the flowers closer to them while taking pictures. An official from Japan National Tourism Organization noted that posts in various social networking services have helped spread cherry blossoms’ beauty. Cherry blossoms are said to bloom only for a week or 10 days at most.
True or False:
- Cherry blossoms attract tourists so much that spring has become the most popular time to visit Japan.
- Since many foreign tourists visit Ueno Park, the park management decided to add English signages.
- It is advisable to break the cherry blossom tree boughs to get a better picture.
- Social networking services are deemed effective in spreading the beauty of cherry blossoms.
- Cherry blossoms usually last for the duration of the spring season.
- In your opinion, which season is the best time to visit Japan? Please explain your answer.
- In your opinion, what makes cherry blossoms attractive?
- Do you do other activities when you go cherry blossom viewing? Please explain your answer.
- How does tourism help a country’s economy? Please explain your answer.
- In your opinion, how does social media affect people’s travel choices?
Express Your Opinion:
- “In the cherry blossom’s shade, there’s no such thing as a stranger.” – Kobayashi Issa
- “The focus of ‘Flower’ is emotion and to make you feel peaceful.” – Jenova Chen
- “The flower that smells the sweetest is shy and lowly.” – William Wordsworth