- Do you like eating rice?
- What is your favorite food?
- gain /geyn/
- meal /meel/
- gram /gram/
- adult /uh-DUHLT/
- fit /fit/
[verb] to increase in weight, speed, height, or amount
She gained a lot of weight during her vacation.
[noun] an occasion when food is eaten
I am on a diet, so I only eat one meal a day.
[noun] a unit of mass equal to 0.001 kilograms
The article says that a person can eat 400 grams of rice per day.
[noun] a person or animal that has grown to full size and strength
She is now considered an adult after she turned 18.
[adjective] healthy and strong
I always run in the morning to stay fit.
Doshisha Women’s College of Liberal Arts’ researchers believed that people who don’t eat rice are probably gaining more weight than those who eat rice during their meals. They discovered that in the United Kingdom, a person only eats 19 grams of rice a day, which is less compared to Spain, Canada, and the US. The data they collected was based on grams and calorie intake of different people in over 100 countries.
However, they claimed that even when a person eats 50 grams of rice a day, the number of overweight adults can go lower from 650 million to 643.5 million. Professor Tomoko Imai, the one who guided the team said, “It’s possible that the fiber, nutrients and plant compounds found in whole grains may increase feelings of fullness and prevent overeating.” This shows that eating rice can help you control what you eat and stay fit.
True or False:
- Based on the study, eating rice can make you gain weight.
- In the United States, a person only eats 19 grams of rice a day.
- The researchers collected data based on grams and calorie intake of different people in less than 100 countries.
- Rice may decrease feelings of fullness and prevent overeating.
- The number of overweight people in the world is 650 million.
Complete the sentences by using the words in the box.
- To stay _____, you must exercise regularly.
- She bought 50 _____ of salt in the market.
- The candidates _____ a lot of supporters.
- _____ are not allowed to enter the playground.
- Most of my _____ are all unhealthy foods.