- mandate /MAN-deyt/
- debar /dih-BAHR/
- prohibit /proh-HIB-it/
- exclude /ik-SKLOOD/
- noxious /NOK-shuhs/
[verb] to order someone to do something
The newly elected mayor mandated a new law that would improve people’s security.
[verb] to stop someone from doing something by law or by official agreement
The coast guards debar foreigners from entering the country’s sea territory.
[verb] to officially refuse to allow something
The citizens are protesting about the new law that prohibits people from smoking in public areas.
[verb] to keep out or omit (something or someone)
We have to exclude some of the processes that are not beneficial to the company.
[adjective] harmful and unpleasant
The employees evacuated yesterday due to the noxious smell inside the building.
The ministry also considers to expand the targeted retailers to small and medium-sized business operators and to exclude biodegradable plastic bags from the ban. A report added that Japan produces the largest amount of plastic waste per capita following the United States. It is estimated that there are over 8 million tons of plastic waste that flow into the oceans every year which causes microplastics pollution. Moreover, the noxious chemicals carried by some plastics have a bad effect on marine life.
True or False:
- Japan officially bans single-use plastics.
- Yoshiaki Harada is the health minister of Japan.
- The retailers will soon charge 15 yen for each plastic bag.
- Japan produces the smallest amount of plastic waste per capita in the whole world.
- The harmful chemicals found on plastics are good for sea animals.
- What is your opinion on Japan’s decision to ban free plastic bags?
- Do you think the planned plastic charge is reasonable? Why or why not?
- In your own opinion, what do you think is the major cause of marine pollution?
- What can you say about environmental problems? Explain your answer.
- Do you think humans consciously or unconsciously destroy the environment? Explain your answer.
Express Your Opinion:
- “Raising awareness on the most pressing environmental issues of our time is more important than ever.” – Leonardo DiCaprio
- Waste segregation is the best way to conserve our environment.
- “We are being choked to death by the amount of plastic that we throw away. It’s killing our oceans. It’s entering into our bodies in the fish we eat.” – Kevin Bacon