- What sports do you enjoy playing?
- What do you usually do during winter season?
- district /DIS-trikt/
- vast /vahst/
- emerge /ih-MURJ/
- hit /hit/
- peak /peek/
- diverse /dahy-VURS/
[noun] an area of a country or town that has fixed borders that has a particular feature that makes it different from surrounding areas
Ueno is a district known for its large park, museums, and zoo.
[adjective] extremely big
There was a vast selection of colors to choose from in the market.
[verb] to appear or become known
After the rain in our city, the sun emerged from the clouds.
[noun] someone or something that is very popular or successful
My friend’s YouTube videos suddenly became a huge hit among teenagers.
[noun] the highest, strongest, or best point
Primary school enrollment will soon reach its peak by next week.
[adjective] including many different types of people or things
We can help bring diverse groups or communities together.
According to a 60-year-old owner of one of the sports shops in the area, Mikio Kadoya, plenty of secondhand shops had the local’s students as their customers. Kadoya also mentioned that sporting goods stores started to emerge after ice skating became a huge hit. The sport became even more in demand because of the Sapporo Winter Olympics in 1972.
Over time, the secondhand shops that used to buy old items from students turned into ski equipment shops. Kanda’s popularity reached its peak in the 1990s when around 80 shops were crowded. This resulted in the district’s development as the center of sporting goods.
Nowadays, ski resorts are becoming more diverse and family-oriented by adding more areas for sledding and skiing. Choosing the right equipment determines the kind of happiness people will experience in skiing, and Kanda is there to help anyone to definitely enjoy winter sports.
- How many shops were crowded when Kanda’s popularity reached its peak in the 1990s?
- Based on the article, what do ski resorts do nowadays in order to become more family-oriented and diverse?
- What customers did the secondhand shops in Kanda have before?
- What is the district of Kanda in Tokyo famous for according to the article?
- In the article, who is Mikio Kadoya?
- Do you think Kanda would still be well-known if winter sports did not become in demand? Why or why not?
- In your opinion, did all secondhand shops that turned into sporting goods stores become successful in their new business? Please explain your answer.
- Aside from winter sports, what other outdoor activities do Japanese enjoy doing? Kindly elaborate
- Which do you prefer, individual sports or team sports? Why?
- When do you think is the best season to do sports or outdoor activities? Please tell me more.