- How often do you use your smartphone?
- Do you always clean your smartphone cover?
- temperature /TEM-per-uh-cher/
- moisture /MOIS-cher/
- mold /mohld/
- quickly /KWIK-lee/
- type /tahyp/
[noun] the measured amount of heat in a place or in the body
She’s not used to stay in a place with cold temperature.
[noun] a liquid such as water in the form of very small drops
Plants absorb moisture from the soil.
[noun] a soft, green or grey growth that develops on old food or on objects that have been left for too long in warm places
The mold makes the bread black and smells stinky for two weeks.
[adverb] at a fast speed
She can finish her tasks quickly.
[noun] a particular group of people or things that share similar characteristics and form a smaller division of a larger set
The contestants may use different types of material for their theme.
One hundred sixteen smartphone covers were examined by Nobuo Hamada, a researcher from Osaka Museum of Natural History. He discovered 100 to 10,000 molds in each cover and 560,000 molds from the dirtiest cover. According to Hamada’s investigation, molds and mites from smartphone covers depend on the length of smartphone use, type of users, and locations of the covers.
The results showed that those covers used for two years or more is moldier than the covers used in a year; also, male’s phone covers have higher number of molds than female’s, while most number of molds are found on covers that are put in our pants’ pockets. How about you, where do you put your smartphone cover? And how long have you used your smartphone cover?
True or False:
- Bacteria like molds and mites grow quickly in a moist environment.
- Nobuo Hamada examined 100 smartphone covers.
- The dirtiest smartphone cover had 560,000 molds.
- The number of molds and mites also depends on where you put the smartphone cover.
- Nobuo Hamada is a writer from the Osaka Museum of Natural History.
Complete the sentences by using the words in the box.
- The ______ of soil is good for strawberries to grow.
- The ______ of stone I really want is gems.
- It’s hard for us not to eat ice cream in this hot ______.
- Hurry up! Just give me a message ______.
- She has a stomachache because she had eaten bread with ______ .