- etiquette /ET-i-kit/
- consent /kuhn-SENT/
- commence /kuh-MENS/
- evaluate /ih-VAL-yoo-eyt/
- potent /POHT-nt/
[noun] the set of rules or customs that control accepted behavior in particular social groups or social situations
He had violated the etiquette by not informing his supervisors of his decision.
[noun] permission or agreement
Her parents declined to give consent to the marriage.
[verb] to begin something
We will commence with the plan in December this year.
[verb] to judge or calculate the quality, importance, amount, or value of something
Do not evaluate one’s performance without any basis.
[adjective] powerful, persuasive, or effective
The managers started brainstorming potent ways to improve productivity.
Foreigners who have a tourist guide app or bring mobile phones rented by hotels obtain information regarding local manners in both Chinese and English. Images captured from street cameras and a survey answered by the locals will be used to evaluate the outcome of the project. According to a Kyoto city government official, they are looking into various ways that are potent in handling issues related to cultural diversity.
True or False:
- Tokyo city began a pilot project in monitoring tourists’ behavior in the city.
- The test will last until December 8 this year.
- The outcome of the project will be evaluated depending on the locals’ survey results.
- The pilot project started in Hanamikoji in Gion district.
- The tourist guide app provides information about local manners in English only.
- What is your opinion in regards to the pilot project launched in Kyoto city?
- Aside from being reminded of etiquette via smartphone, what do you think are other ways to remind foreign tourists of proper manner? Please explain your answer.
- What other places in Japan do you think should have this similar pilot project? Why?
- What do you think are the effects of not following a country’s culture?
- In your opinion, how do you think tourists can adjust to cultural differences?
Express Your Opinion:
- “To learn etiquette, is actually learning how to see others, and respect them.” — Yixing Zhang
- . “If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart.” — Nelson Mandela
- “Respect is a two-way street, if you want to get it, you’ve got to give it.” — R.G. Risch