- Do you eat fruits and vegetables?
- Do you use social media sites every day?
- psychological /sahy-kuh-LOJ-i-kuhl/
- lifestyle /LAHYF-stahyl/
- quit /kwit/
- detox /DEE-toks/
- reveal /ri-VEEL/
[adjective] relating to the human mind and feelings
The new game has a psychological effect on kids.
[noun] someone’s way of living; the things that a person or particular group of people usually do
My doctor advised me to change my lifestyle.
[verb] to stop doing something or leave a job or a place
She promised herself that she would quit smoking.
[noun] a period when you stop taking unhealthy or harmful foods, drinks, or drugs into your body for a period of time, in order to improve your health
She managed to have a detox diet last month.
[verb] to make known or show something usually secret or hidden
Mr. Quish revealed the true story behind last night’s incident.
1. Quit alcohol
A new study asked 10,386 adults and found out that those who don’t drink alcohol had the highest level of their mental health condition. The moderate drinkers and those who quit alcohol during the study period boost their mental health well-being.
2. Social media detox
Researchers believe that social media has a bad effect on a person’s mental health. A study in the UK found out that using one’s phone several times a day results in poor mental well-being. The lack of sleep and physical activities caused by using social media sites too much are the possible reasons for poor mental health.
3. Avoid junk food and eat more fruits and vegetables
Eating fruits and vegetables every day could improve one’s mental health. Researchers found that adults who ate unhealthy food like french fries, fast food, and soda had a higher chance of getting depressed.
4. Supplement intake
Taking dietary supplements is also good for mental health. The researchers revealed that specific supplements could reduce mental illnesses. Some supplements could also help to cure mood disorders and schizophrenia.
True or False:
- Mental health refers to physical and emotional well-being.
- People who didn’t drink alcohol experience the highest level of their mental health state.
- Using one’s phone several times a day could result in poor mental health.
- Taking specific supplements is not good for mental health.
- Adults who ate unhealthy food were more likely to get depressed.
Complete the sentences by using the words in the box.
- She _________ that the wedding will be in November this year.
- If I become rich, I would _________ my job.
- These past few days, she was experiencing some _________ problems.
- John has a healthy _________.
- I was on 24-hour _________ yesterday.