- enforce /en-FAWRS/
- validate /VAL-i-deyt/
- obliged /uh-BLAHYJ/
- continually /kuhn-TIN-yoo-uh-lee/
- cautioned /KAW-shuhn/
[verb] to make people obey a law, or to make a particular situation happen or be accepted
I think the police should enforce the laws that are on the books.
[verb] to make something officially acceptable or approved, especially after examining it
The woman needs to validate if her flight is tomorrow.
[adjective] to be forced to do something or feel that you must do something
The government was obliged to make changes in its foreign policy.
[adverb] in a way that happens repeatedly
The parameters of the job are being continually negotiated.
[verb] to warn someone about a possible problem or danger
Citrus growers were cautioned to protect the fruit from frost.
In 2012, the Chinese social networking site Weibo was obliged to implement the real-name registration. While consumers continually use technology, researchers cautioned them about the risks that facial recognition data have. The Chinese government persuades everyone to “promote the healthy, orderly development of the Internet, protect state security and public interest.”
True or False:
- Telecom operators in China seek to constrict cyberspace by gathering face scans of new phone users.
- The collection of face scans in China will end on December 8.
- Chinese commerce will use artificial intelligence and other technical means to confirm people’s identity.
- The Chinese social networking site Weibo was not forced to implement the real-name registration.
- The Chinese government advises everyone to promote healthy, orderly development of the Internet, to protect state security and public interest.
- Do you agree that telecom operators in China should continue to collect face scans of new phone users? Please explain your answer.
- What is your opinion about imposing social networking sites about the implementation of real-name registration?
- In your opinion, what are the effects of these kinds of rules in a country?
- What do you think we must do to keep ourselves safe when using social networking sites?
- What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of using technology, especially smartphones?
Express Your Opinion:
- “It’s not a faith in technology. It’s faith in people.” – Steve Jobs, Co-founder of Apple
- “Technology is a useful servant but a dangerous master.” – Christian Lous Lange, Historian
- “The advance of technology is based on making it fit in so that you don’t really even notice it, so it’s part of everyday life.” – Bill Gates, Co-founder of Microsoft