- nursing home /nursing hohm/
- appetite /AP-i-tahyt/
- premature /pree-muh-CHOOR/
- exceed /ik-SEED/
- refrain /ri-FREYN/
[noun] a place where very old people who are ill live and receive medical treatment and care
The cosmetic company runs a nursing home for more than a decade.
[noun] a desire or need for something, esp. food
Some children have good appetite whenever they eat with their friends.
[adjective] happening or done too soon, especially before the natural or suitable time
Some premature babies suffer from breathing difficulties.
[verb] to be greater than a number or amount, or to go past an allowed limit
The current financial cost should not exceed $8,000.
[verb] to avoid doing or stop yourself from doing something
Every company should require their employees to refrain from using abusive language.
Her age is a symbol of the rapidly growing population of Japan. According to Japan’s Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, the number of Japanese people aged over 90 reached two million for the first time in 2017 and doubled from 1.02 million in 2004 to 2.06 million. The population of Japanese elderly over 65 exceeded 35.14 million or 27.7% in 2017. However, the number of births fell to less than a million for the first time in 2016. The Independent stated that analysts linked Japan’s reduction population to young people concentrating on their occupations and refraining from marriage, while senior citizens have been living longer than before.
True or False:
- Kane Tanaka celebrated her birthday at a retirement facility last January 2.
- Guinness World Records recognized Kane Tanaka as the world’s oldest person a few years ago.
- The Guinness World’s oldest person has five siblings.
- The number of Japanese citizens aged above 90 got doubled in 2017.
- Young Japanese people are engaged in their professions and marriage.
- Do you think Kane Tanaka should stay at a nursing home? Why or why not?
- What is your opinion about Kane Tanaka having a good appetite?
- What is your opinion about Japanese people aged over 90?
- What do you think is the best age in a person’s life? Tell me more.
- What do you think is the ideal age to get married? Elaborate your answer.
Express Your Opinion:
- “Life is all but a dream we will soon wake up to and be 7 years old again”― Kira Jeffries
- “Getting older is being matured and grateful of what you’ve learned in life.” ― Myiesha Carlos
- “Marriage is not about age; it’s about finding the right person.” – Sophia Bush