- Do you do volunteer work?
- Are you a positive person?
- positive /POZ-i-tiv/
- ignore /ig-NAWR/
- temporary /TEM-puh-rer-ee/
- proven /PROO-vuhn/
- purpose /PUR-puhs/
[adjective] full of hope and confidence
Surround yourself with positive people, never with negative ones.
[verb] to give no attention to something or someone
She keeps on ignoring her mother’s advice.
[adjective] not lasting or permanent
Trials are only temporary; don’t stress yourself out too much.
[adjective] shown to be true
This food supplement is scientifically proven effective.
[noun] why you do something or why something exists
To live your life to the fullest, you should know the purpose of life.
1. Exercise positive attitude
Being positive doesn’t mean ignoring bad happenings. It is about not focusing on those things for a long time, instead, a positive person will see the problems in life as temporary or a chance to learn and grow.
2. Do volunteers
Studies have confirmed how being kind to other people benefits our bodies to reduce stress and even have a longer life. It’s not important how much time a person can offer; just a simple act of giving has been shown to boost one’s health.
3. Be thankful
Counting our blessings not only saves us from stress and depression, but it can also help a person to be a positive individual. Moreover, remembering and appreciating the kindness received from others will give a sense of gratitude that will lead to happiness and better mental health.
4. Strengthen your social connections
According to Robert Waldinger, a Harvard psychiatrist, the happiest are the people who are more connected with family, friends, and community. A study from the Harvard Study of Adult Development has proven how good relationships help people become happier and healthier.
5. Know your purpose
Knowing your purpose helps a person to have good health and a happy life. Do not focus only on personal interest, instead, live for something bigger because it takes off some of the stress and pressure of life.
True or False:
- Good relationships help people have a healthier and happier life.
- Focusing on your own interest helps you to be a better and happy person.
- Optimists see challenges in life as temporary situations.
- Having a thankful heart helps us to have a better mindset.
- It is good not to strengthen your social connections, for it only causes troubles in one’s life.
Complete the sentences by using the words in the box.
- Don’t _____ the warnings your friends have given you.
- Every one of us has a _____ in life. Don’t be disheartened if you haven’t found yours.
- Nothing is permanent in this world, everything is _____.
- Stay focused. Be _____.
- Everything she said was _____ true.