- Do you buy environment-friendly products?
- Have you made any changes in your life to lessen global warming?
- develop /dih-VEL-uhp/
- efficient /ih-FISH-uhnt/
- mix /miks/
- pure /pyoor/
- cost /kost/
[verb] – to grow or cause to grow or change into a more advanced form
The team developed a better plan.
[adjective] – working or operating in a way that gets the results you want without any waste
Lisa is thankful to have efficient and excellent team members.
[verb] – to (cause different substances to) combine, so that the result cannot easily be separated into its parts
If you mix red with yellow, you’ll get orange.
[adjective] – not mixed with anything else
I’m not really sure if it’s pure honey.
[noun] – the amount of money needed to buy, do, or make something, or an amount spent for something
We are so lucky that we got the tickets at a much lower cost!
Keele University’s natural gas supply was mixed with 20% hydrogen. It was used by the university canteen to cook meals for the students. To get hydrogen in pure form, the water molecule (H2O) will be split into two parts: Hydrogen and Oxygen. A machine called “electrolyser” will divide the water molecule by using wind power, another clean source of energy.
The staff from the university canteen said that the 20% blend of hydrogen fuel did not affect their work. The gas distribution company Cadent, which is leading the project, said that if the 20% blend of hydrogen were to be used by the public, 6 million tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions would be reduced. This is the same as taking 2.5 million cars out of the roads. In addition, the only by-product of burning hydrogen is water.
On the other hand, the disadvantages of using hydrogen fuel are cost and availability. It needs huge infrastructures and the fuel is more expensive compared to others. But in the future, the price will drop because it doesn’t contain carbon which raises the taxes on burning gases.
At present, hydrogen fuel might be too expensive for mass consumption. But its supporters still believe that it can be one of the main sources of fuel in the future. The good effects of using this technology will be greater than the negatives. More improvements for this fuel should be done so it could be a major source of fuel in the future.
True or False:
- The advantages of using hydrogen fuel are cost and availability.
- Cadent, a gas distribution company, is leading “HyDeploy”.
- The by-product of burning hydrogen is water.
- Keele University’s natural gas supply was blended with 30% hydrogen.
- A device called “electro spinner” will split the water molecule to get hydrogen in its pure form.
Complete the sentences by using the words in the box.
- You have to________ the ingredients together in a bowl.
- He wants to ________ his skills.
- That dress was made from ________ silk.
- The new process is easy and ________.
- The total ________ of the bag is $110.