- Why do you think natural disasters happen?
- What is the best mode of transportation for you?
- disaster /dih-ZAS-ter/
- provide /pruh-VAYHD/
- transport /trans-POHRT/
- enhance /en-HANS/
- massive /MAS-iv/
[noun] a sudden event that causes a lot of damage, such as a very bad fire, storm, or accident
One of the most unpredictable natural disasters is earthquakes.
[verb] to give something to a person, company, or organization, or to make it available for them to use
The event coordinators provided free meals to the guests.
[noun] something that takes things, esp. soldiers or military supplies, from one place to another
The transport system in my country should be improved.
[verb] to improve the quality, amount, or strength of something
Proper training will enhance his teaching skills.
[adjective] very large in size, amount, or degree
The company experienced a massive profit loss in the first quarter of 2020.
JR-EAST Train service on a 20.8-kilometer stretch between Tomioka and Namie near the disaster-hit Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant had been suspended since the catastrophe. Despite some people’s expectations that the improvement of public transport in disaster-hit areas will increase the number of visitors and enhance regional recovery, others believe that the effects will be limited as most locals still prefer cars over other modes of transport. On March 11, 2011, northeastern Japan was struck by a magnitude-9.0 earthquake that caused massive destruction in the region. This disaster is also called The Great Sendai Earthquake or The Great Tōhoku Earthquake.
- When did the Joban Line reopen?
- How long did it take before the train line resumed its service?
- What is the capital of Miyagi?
- How many round-trips per day do the express trains have?
- What natural disaster struck northeastern Japan on March 11, 2011?
- Do you believe that the reopening of the JR EAST railways can improve the local economy? Please explain.
- Do you think that the public transportation system in your country is efficient? Why or why not?
- What is the worst natural disaster for you? Why?
- How can we prepare for natural disasters?
- What can we learn from natural disasters?