- What time do you usually sleep at night?
- What are the things that make you sleepy?
- rapidly /RAP-idly/
- circumstance /SUR-kuhm-stans/
- routine /roo-TEEN/
- adequate /AD-i-kwit/
- ensure /en-SHOOR/
[adverb] in a fast or sudden way
Her proficiency in English rapidly improved.
[noun] an event or condition connected with what is happening or has happened
We must adapt our plan to these new circumstances.
[noun] a usual or fixed way of doing things
Routine exercise is great for your health.
[adjective] enough or satisfactory for a particular purpose
This paper should be adequate for your project.
[verb] to make something certain to happen
This medicine will ensure you a good night’s sleep.
Let’s define what grogginess is.
According to Dr. Natasha Bijlani, a psychiatrist at Priory Hospital Roehampton, sleep inertia is the medical term for grogginess when it strikes between sleep and wakefulness or when a person does not feel completely awake. Drowsiness, trouble focusing, and being clumsy for a while after waking up are some effects a person might feel when he or she is groggy.
Professor Matthew Walker of neuroscience and psychology at the University of California compares an old car engine to the human brain as it needs to warm up when it wakes up. Sleeping habits, not enough sleep, or sleep problems could also be the causes of grogginess, he added. Moreover, Professor Colin Espie of Sleep Medicine at the University of Oxford considers having less exposure to sunlight can cause grogginess and lots of COVID-19 news everywhere can cause feelings of helplessness and panic to people that can drain their energy.
Things you need to do when you are feeling groggy:
Continue with your daily routine both evening and morning. Doing better with regular habits, and getting adequate sleep time, are the reasons why it is important to keep a proper sleep-wake routine every day. Also, doing an exercise will help make your mind better especially if you’re unable to sleep.
By doing things like getting rid of a mess from the bedroom and ensuring the bed looks cozy, then people can create a calming atmosphere.
- In the article, why do people tend to stay longer in bed?
- What is the medical term for grogginess?
- What are the effects a person might feel when he or she is groggy?
- What is the importance of having a proper sleep-wake routine everyday?
- Based on the article, what are the things you need to do to create a calming atmosphere in your bedroom?
- In your own opinion, do you think sleeping 7-8 hours everyday will help you stay healthy?
- Do you always follow your sleep-wake routine? Please explain.
- What are your usual sleeping habits? Does it make you feel sleepy or it makes you more awake?
- Do you think listening to music will help you feel sleepy? Please explain your answer.
- How do you think waking up late affects your mood?