- What businesses are open in your country during this pandemic?
- Do you go to public places during this pandemic? Why or why not?
- regulation /reg-yuh-LEY-shuhn/
- select /si-LEKT/
- psychological /sahy-kuh-LOJ-i-kuhl/
- deny /dih-NAHY/
- limited /LIM-i-tid/
[noun] – an official rule or the act of controlling something
The new school regulations will be effective next week.
[adjective] – chosen from a larger number as being the best or most valuable
School clubs shouldn’t be available for only a select few; they should be for all students.
[adjective] – relating to the human mind and feelings
Psychological health is as important as physical health.
[verb] – to not allow someone to have or do something
Any person with no ID card will be denied access to the office.
[adjective] – kept within a particular size, range, time. etc.
The sale is only available for a limited time, so let’s hurry!
The new protocol includes banning non-essential travels between Amsterdam, Rotterdam, and The Hauge. Bars and restaurants are permitted to operate, but must close by 22:00. People must wear face masks when entering shops and riding public transport; otherwise, they would be denied entry. Visitors in houses are limited to three only, and social gatherings such as sports events are prohibited. PM Rutte explained, “Naturally these measures will have negative economic consequences. But allowing the virus to flare up would have even bigger consequences, including damage to the economy.
- According to the article, which cities in the Netherlands have the highest number of COVID-19 cases?
- When did The Netherlands begin to implement new measures to prevent the spread of the virus?
- Based on the article, how many visitors are allowed in houses?
- What is an “intelligent” lockdown?
- Based on the result of the survey, how many percent of residents in the Netherlands complied to social distancing protocols?
- What do you think would be the effect if the Netherlands still continued with the “intelligent” lockdown?
- Do you think restaurants and bars in Amsterdam, Rotterdam, and The Hauge should close earlier than 22:00? Why or why not?
- During the pandemic, do you still let visitors in your house or apartment? Please tell me more.
- For you, what businesses should remain open during a pandemic?
- How do you keep yourself safe from the virus when using public transport?