- unveil /uhn-VEYL/
- situate /SICH-oo-eyt/
[verb] – to put something in a particular position
The newly-opened clothing line store is situated in Manila near the National Library.
- envision /en-VIZH-uhn/
- surpass /ser-PAHS/
- seismic /SAHYZ-mik/
[verb] – to show or introduce something new or make it known publicly for the first time
A new flagship phone will be unveiled in a product launch this coming November.
[verb] – to imagine or expect that something is a likely or desirable possibility in the future
The company envisioned adding at least ten more branches worldwide next year.
[verb] – to do or be better than
Lebron James surpassed Michael Jordan’s long-time NBA scoring record.
[adjective] – relating to or caused by an earthquake
Scientists have been analyzing the recent seismic activities.
Currently, Japan’s highest building is Osaka’s 300-meter Abeno Harukas. The ongoing 330-meter building in Toranomon-Azabudai district will also be surpassed by Torch Tower. But Mitsubishi Estate assured in a press briefing that the soon to be highest building will have the “highest level of seismic resistance”. The Japanese developers said that the development will also provide common areas where people can take shelter if there are natural disasters.
True or False:
- Mitsubishi Estate’s building will be the highest in Japan after seven years.
- The building is located near Tokyo station.
- Tokyo’s Torch Tower will surpass the tallest building in Toranomon-Azabudai once it is finished.
- Japan’s current highest building is located in Osaka.
- The public areas can also act as shelters in any case of natural disasters.
- Why do you think the builders chose this design?
- What are the impacts of this building to Tokyo’s tourism?
- What is your favorite building in the world and why?
- What makes your country’s architecture unique?
- What do you think will buildings look a hundred years from now?
Express Your Opinion:
- “You can dream, create, design, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it requires people to make the dream a reality.”
– Walt Disney
- “Great buildings, like great mountains, are the work of centuries.”
– Victor Hugo
- “One of the great beauties of architecture is that each time, it is like life starting all over again.”
– Renzo Piano