- impact /im-PAKT/
- sensitivity /sen-si-TIV-i-tee/
- uncover /uhn-KUHV-er/
- proportion /pruh-PAWR-shuhn/
- detect /dih-TEKT/
[verb] – to have an influence on something
The situation impacted the status of the economy.
[noun] – having a strong physical reaction to something
You have to use this toothpaste whenever dental trauma results in tooth sensitivity to hot or cold.
[verb] – to discover something secret or hidden or remove something covering something else
The police uncovered the mystery behind the crime that happened a week ago.
[noun] – the number or amount of a group or part of something when compared to the whole
Women make up a large proportion of the community’s population.
[verb] – to notice something that is partly hidden or not clear, or to discover something, especially using a special method
High levels of toxins were detected in the river.
A study from Denmark observed that among 7,422 people who were Covid-19 positive, only 38.4% have blood type O — Despite the fact that amid a group of 2.2 million people who were not examined, that blood type made up 41.7% of the number of people. When compared to another group, 44.4% of group A tested positive, while in the other broader population in Denmark that blood type makes up 42.4%. Meanwhile, specialists in Canada uncovered that of all 95 cases severely ill with Covid-19, a greater proportion with type A or AB — 84% — needed mechanical ventilation in comparison to cases with blood type O or B, which was 61%. The Canadian study also detected those with blood type A or AB had a longer stay in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU), compared with those with blood type O or B.
True or False:
- The Canadian study detected that those with blood type A or AB had a longer stay in the ICU compared with those with blood type O or B.
- According to experts, the causes of this link need more research to say if it has benefits for patients.
- The studies came from Australia and Denmark.
- Two studies suggest that people with blood type O may be less affected by Covid-19 infection and have a small chance of getting seriously ill.
- ICU stands for Internal Care Unit.
- Do you agree with the Danish study? Why or why not?
- Why do you think that the specialist had this conclusion?
- Do you think that having blood type O has many benefits? Please share your thoughts.
- What other study have you heard that is connected Covid-19? Tell me about it.
- How do you protect yourself from infection? Please explain your answer.
Express Your Opinion:
- “If you steal from one author it’s plagiarism; if you steal from many it’s research.” – Wilson Mizner
- “It doesn’t matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn’t matter how smart you are. If it doesn’t agree with an experiment, it’s wrong.” -Richard P. Feynman
- “After all, the ultimate goal of all research is not objectivity, but truth.” – Helene Deutsch