- outbreak /OUT-breyk/
- skyrocket / SKAHY-rok-it/
- behind / bih-HAHYND/
- prevalent /PREV-uh-luhnt/
- surge /surj/
[noun] – a time when something suddenly begins, especially a disease or something else dangerous or unpleasant
There was a cholera outbreak.
[verb] – to rise extremely quickly or make extremely quick progress towards success
Prices of certain commodities have skyrocketed in recent months.
[preposition] – responsible for or the cause of
Albert Einstein was the man behind enormous changes in science.
[adjective] – existing very commonly or happening often
These diseases are more prevalent among young children.
[noun] – a sudden and great increase
There has been a surge in website visits recently.
The COVID 19 pandemic crossed the 60 million mark and claimed 1.5 million lives around the globe as of writing. According to the team behind dictionary.com, the word is the “defining context” of 2020. They defined the word pandemic as “a disease prevalent throughout an entire country, continent, or the whole world.” “This outbreak of new language—matched by a surge of searches for these terms on-site—is unlike anything we’ve ever seen at Dictionary.com. It takes an event on the order of a pandemic to generate such innovation.” The word reshaped our language, allowing the public to use new vocabulary for talking about our new reality.
True or False:
- Thesaurus.com declared “Pandemic” as 2020’s word of the year due to its frequent usage.
- Searches for the word “pandemic” spiked to 13,575% when compared to the search results for the word on the same day last March 2019.
- It remained in the top 10 percent of all searches this year.
- The virus already has 60 million victims and stole 1.5 million lives worldwide.
- Other searches related to the pandemic were also at the top, such as “asymptomatic”, “quarantine”, “frontliner”, “lockdown”, and “coronavirus”.
Situation: You are going to report in front of a class about COVID19.
Question: How can we protect ourselves from the coronavirus?
- immune system
- It is important that we…
Express Your Opinion:
- “Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less.” – Marie Curie
- “Don’t worry ’bout a thing, cause every little thing’s gonna be alright.” – Bob Marley
- “Life comes with many challenges. The ones that should not scare us are the ones we can take on and take control of.” — Angelina Jolie