- How do you take care of your skin?
- Have you ever heard of a device that functions like our skin?
- pleasant /PLEZ-uhnt/
- complicated /KOM-pli-key-tid/
- invent /in-VENT/
- mention /MEN-shuhn/
- development /dih-VEL-uhp-muhnt/
[adjective] – enjoyable, attractive, friendly, or easy to like
Harold had a pleasant vacation in Europe for months.
[adjective] – involving a lot of different parts, in a way that is difficult to understand
The rules are complicated to follow.
[verb] – to design and/or create something that has never been made before
The first safety razor was invented by company founder King C. Gillette in 1903.
[verb] – to speak about something quickly, giving little detail or using few words
My wife mentioned seeing you the other day.
[noun] – the process in which someone or something grows or changes and becomes more advanced
They worked together for the development of the community.
Now, specialists at RMIT University in Melbourne, Australia, have invented a manufactured skin that mimics this device and reacts to pain stimuli. They used silicone rubber to make it; it has the function of actual skin and is also very relative to the skin in its structural features, mentions Madhu Bhaskaran, an engineering professor at RMIT University and the project’s head researcher. It could start innovative developments in robotics and prosthetics.
Similar to the actual skin, the manufactured version is made to respond when pressure, heat or cold exceed a pain threshold. Its surface layers sandwich electronic circuits studded with sensors, which act to stimuli. According to Bhaskaran, the fascinating thing about our body is that it operates by sending electrical signs into the central nervous system.
True or False:
- Pain is not needed for survival.
- Specialists at RMIT University in Austria, have invented a manufactured skin that mimics this device and reacts to pain stimuli.
- Madhu Bhaskaran is an engineering professor at RMIT University and the project’s head researcher.
- Similar to the actual skin, the manufactured version is made to respond when pressure, heat or cold exceed a pain threshold.
- The fascinating thing about our body is that it operates by sending electrical signs into the central nervous system.
Fill in the blanks:
- Math is a very _____ subject.
- She _____ that she would never hurt me.
- There is a lot of infrastructure _____ in our place.
- Alexander Graham Bell _____ the telephone.
- She had a _____ time with her friends today.