- Do you have a close group of friends?
- How often do you talk with your friends?
- wonderful /WUHN-der-fuhl/
- benefit /BEN-uh-fit/
- atmosphere /AT-muhs-feer/
- nowadays /NOU-uh-deyz/
- idea /ahy-DEE-uh/
[adjective] – extremely good
The weather today is wonderful.
[noun] – a helpful or good effect
Reading books has a lot of benefits.
[noun] – the character, feeling, or mood of a place or situation
The office has a very relaxed atmosphere.
[adverb] – at the present time, in comparison to the past
Many people work from home nowadays.
[noun] – a suggestion or plan for doing something
The surprise party was my brother’s idea.
Gillian Sandstrom, researcher at the University of Essex, also found weak ties as a good way to create a better, happier atmosphere and a greater sense of belonging. According to Sandstrom, our movements are limited nowadays due to the pandemic. Because of such, we run out of things to talk about to our friends. But this doesn’t mean we have to stop here.
As stated in Granovetter’s work, we get more information from weak ties. Sandstrom said that right now, social media is the best substitute for casual conversations, so ask your friends how they are. From there, you will eventually get ideas from them how to manage with the current situation. Starting a casual conversation is a way to show that you care without using much of your time, attention, and energy, and that is the secret behind “weak-tie” friendships.
True or False:
- Granovetter categorizes friendship into strong and weak ties.
- According to Sandstrom, social media is not the best substitute for casual conversations.
- Based on the article, we run out of things to share to our friends because of the pandemic.
- Mark Granovetter is a sociology professor at the University of Essex.
- We get information from weak ties as stated in Granovetter’s work.
Fill in the blanks:
- Going there by train is a good _____.
- Employees get medical _____ from the company.
- Our family had a _____ time in Australia.
- Shopping is made easier _____.
- The hotel we stayed in had a relaxed _____.