- Do you like playing video games?
- Do you like visiting temples and/or shrines?
- old-fashioned /ohld-FASH-uhnd/
- secret /SEE-krit/
- entertainment /en-ter-TEYN-muhnt/
- translation /trans-LEY-shuhn/
- furniture /FUR-ni-cher/
[adjective] – not modern; belonging to or typical of a time in a past
My brother has a collection of old-fashioned clothes.
[adjective] – if something is secret, it is not generally known or is not known by many
The chocolates were sent by a secret admirer.
[noun] – shows, films, television, or other performances or activities that entertain people, or a performance of this type
What do you do for entertainment when you have free time?
[noun] – something that is translated, or the process of translating something, from one language to another
All of his translations were correct.
[noun] – items such as chairs, tables, and beds that are used in a home or office
We don’t have much furniture at home.
The Secret Retro Base is a games shop where visitors can both look at and play old-school games. Eight people can play their game and console of choice, either Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) or the Nintendo Super Famicom Entertainment System (SNES). Some of the games include the classics like Space Invaders, Super Mario, Street Fighter, and Mario Kart. If you’re not Japanese, no worries; the all-knowing owner will help you with basic instructions and give you rough translations.
Aside from The Secret Retro Base, Kamakura also has shops that specialize in miniature furniture and one that looks the same as a weapon shop from a game. There’s also one that makes and sells matryoshka kokeshi dolls. Kamakura is truly an “old-fashioned” city, so make sure to visit not only the shrines and temples, but the shops in this famous seaside city as well!
True or False:
- Visitors in The Secret Retro Base can choose to play between NES and SNES.
- If you’re not Japanese, The Secret Retro Base’s owner can help you with basic instructions.
- The Secret Retro Base is a shop that specializes in a miniature furniture.
- Kamakura has no other other interesting shops except The Secret Retro Base.
Fill in the blanks:
- The brought films for _____.
- All _____ are made of wood.
- I prefer _____ things like handwritten letters.
- It only has the rough _____ from the book.
- She escaped through a _____ door.