- Do you watch Olympic games? What can you say about them?
- Who is your favorite Olympian?
- global /GLOH-buhl/
- committee /kuh-MIT-ee/
- enable /en-EY-buhl/
- debate /dih-BEYT/
- priority /prahy-AWR-i-tee/
[adjective] – relating to the whole world
A global research to map the impact of climate change has just been launched.
[noun] – a small group of people chosen to represent a larger organization and either make decisions or collect information for it
A committee has just been formed by the local council to research recycling.
[verb] – to make someone able to do something, or to make something possible
Computerization should enable us to cut the cost of production by half.
[noun] – serious discussion of a subject in which many people take part
The current subject of public debate is education.
[adjective] – relating to something that is very important and must be dealt with before other things
Priority lane allows priority access to security check without standing in traditional lines.
Jason Kindrachuk, an infectious disease specialist at the University of Manitoba in Canada, says: “I think a lot of people had this vested belief that once the vaccine started to roll out, that would spell the end of Covid and what we would see is that transmission rates would start to plummet, things would get more controlled and we would have some ability to go back to a more normal lifestyle,” “The fact is that even with good vaccine rollouts in several regions of the world, we’re having trouble getting a hold on transmission.” IOC President Thomas Bach also said organizers will “undertake a great effort” to ensure that “Olympic participants and visitors will arrive (in Tokyo) vaccinated.” A point of the debate may be where Olympic participants rank on the priority list for a vaccine. Among athletes, the general opinion is that they are prepared to wait.
- Who is the president of the International Olympic Committee?
- According to the article, who is said to be optimistic?
- What do people believe once the vaccine started to roll out?
- What is the general opinion among athletes?
- What does IOC stand for?
- Do you think that the vaccines would really help enable the Olympics to push through? Please explain your answer.
- Do you agree with Thomas Bach? Why or why not?
- What is your favorite Olympic sport and why?
- If you were an athlete would you like the Olympic games to push through? Why?
- Do you think Olympic participants should be on the priority list for a vaccine? Why do you think so?