- Do you work/study five days in a week?
- Do you like to work/study in the office/school or at home?
- suggestion /suhg-JES-chuhn/
- academic /ak-uh-DEM-ik/
- as well as /az wel az/
- encourage /en-KUHR-ij/
- disagree /dis-uh-GREE/
[noun] – an idea, plan, or action that is suggested or the act of suggesting it
What is your suggestion about this problem?
[noun] – a person who teaches in a college or university
I heard Anna became an academic.
[phrase] – and also
We passed by the bakery as well as the bookstore.
[verb] – to make someone more likely to do something, or to make something more likely to happen
The new teacher is good at encouraging his students to study harder.
[verb] – to not have the same opinion, idea, etc.
I’m sorry, but I disagree with you on that idea.
3 days in the office, 2 days at home, and 2 days off. This is what academics Lauren C. Howe, Ashley Whillans, and Jochen I. Menges proposed. The key of this structure is that employees have the freedom to choose where and when to work. Whillians said that with this structure, companies will consider COVID safety risks more, as well as some in-person interactions, employee preferences, and work-life balance. Another is the four-day workweek structure, which Unilever New Zealand (NZ) has implemented last December. According to Unilever NZ general manager Nick Bangs, this structure encourages flexibility and better health for workers to be more motivated to work.
Still, there are some who disagree with the structure changes. Although they have benefits, they have disadvantages as well, like leaving clients waiting for responses. Despite these, the pandemic will continue to affect our decisions and our work during the pandemic will also adapt the “new normal” mindset.
True or False:
- Most employees have been working at home for half a year now.
- The 3-2-2 work structure is proposed by Nick Bangs.
- Everyone agrees with the structure changes.
- Unilever New Zealand implemented the four-day workweek last December.
- In the 3-2-2 work structure, employees have to work for two days at home.
Fill in the blanks:
|suggestion||academic||as well as||encourage||disagree|
- I _____ with that idea.
- His _____ to watch the movie at home is better.
- My brother always _____ to study a foreign language.
- We have responsibilities at work _____ at home.
- The _____ in the university are top-notch.