- How often do you use vending machines?
- Are there many vending machines in your town/city?
- special /SPESH-uhl/
- salmon /SAM-uhn/
- mention /MEN-shuhn/
- abroad /uh-BRAWD/
- convenient /kuhn-VEEN-yuhnt/
[adjective] – not ordinary or usual
There will be a special event tonight at the office.
[noun] – a medium-size fish with pink flesh which lives in the sea
I caught some salmons when I went fishing yesterday.
[verb] – to speak about something quickly, giving little detail or using few words
Did she mention anything about her sister?
[adverb] – in or to a foreign country or countries
My cousins live abroad.
[adjective] – suitable for your purposes and needs and causing the least difficulty
It’s very convenient that I live near the bus station.
But why vending machines? Manish Kumar, managing director of salmon vending machines, says that he can have his own retail space using such machines. Meanwhile, for Mervin Tham, one of the three founders of a wagyu beef vending machine chain, using them is a “low-effort way of testing a product.” He also mentioned that more and more people abroad are interested in using vending machines.
During this time of the pandemic, vending machines are more important than ever. Because they’re contactless and available 24/7, people don’t need to take the risk of getting the coronavirus when going to supermarkets. Plus, vending machines are convenient and easy to buy from. Whether there’s a pandemic or not, these small yet powerful machines will continue to prove their worth.
True or False:
- In Singapore, people can buy books and cacti from vending machines.
- Tham said that using vending machines to sell items is a “low-effort way of testing a product.”
- For Kumar, he cannot have his own retail space using vending machines.
- Aside from typical food and drinks, people in Singapore can also buy freshly cooked pizza.
- Vending machines are not as important as before during this time of the pandemic.
Fill in the blanks:
- Online shopping is more _____ nowadays.
- He _____ something about going to Kyoto next month.
- The new smartphone has _____ features.
- My favorite sushi is _____.
- How long have you lived _____?