© Kyodo News
- Who are the famous Olympic athletes in your country?
- Are you excited about the 2021 Olympic games? Why or why not?
- spectator /SPEK-tey-ter/
- overseas /oh-ver-SEEZ/
- permit /per-MIT/
- venue /VEN-yoo/
- conduct /kuhn-DUHKT/
[noun] – a person who watches an activity, especially a sports event, without taking part
The spectators cheered loudly as the opening ceremony started.
[adjective] – in, from, or to other countries
The overseas fans have been waiting for the concert.
[verb] – to allow something
Smoking is not permitted inside the building.
[noun] – the place where a public event or meeting happens
This convention hall is an ideal venue for fans and sellers of comics and toy collectibles.
[verb] – to organize and perform a particular activity
We are going to conduct a survey to find out what our customers want.
The organizers considered several choices, including keeping the games behind closed doors and staging them with spectators from Japan only. Seiko Hashimoto, president of the Japanese committee, told the media that they would like for people around the world to come to a full stadium but unless they are prepared to accept them, it would also cause troubles to overseas visitors. To prevent the virus from spreading, officials said the relay’s opening ceremony will be conducted without spectators. The Olympics will be held from July 23 to August 8, followed by the Paralympics from August 24 to September 5.
- Why are international spectators not allowed in the upcoming Tokyo Olympics?
- Who will decide on the number of spectators permitted in the venue?
- What choices did the organizers consider for the Olympics?
- What did Hashimoto say regarding welcoming spectators of the Tokyo Olympics?
- When will be the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics be held?
- Do you agree with the committee’s decision not to include international spectators attending the event? Why or why not?
- What preventive measures would you add to ensure the safety of personnel, local spectators, and athletes in the games?
- Is Olympics popular in your country? Why do you think so?
- Do you think that the Olympics is important? Explain your answer.
- What sports do you play and how often do you play them?