- How many are you in your family?
- Which do you prefer: a big or a small family?
- census /SEN-suhs/
- newborn /NYOO-born/
- encourage /en-KUR-ij/
- couple /KUHP-uhl/
- career /KUH-reer/
[noun] – a count for official purposes, especially one to count the number of people living in a country and to collect information about them
PSA is responsible for the census of our country’s population.
[noun] – a baby that was born recently
The father went to the hospital’s nursery room to look at his newborn.
[verb] – to make someone more likely to do something, or to make something more likely to happen
My parents encouraged me to learn English so I could have more job opportunities.
[noun] – two people who are married or in a romantic or sexual relationship, or two people who are together for a particular purpose
The married couple have been together for 40 years.
[noun] – the job or series of jobs that you do during your working life, especially if you continue to get better jobs and earn more money
More women are having professional careers in the recent times.
True or False:
- The annual birth rate in China decreased from 0.57% in the 2000s to 0.53% in the 2010s.
- Only 16 million babies were born in 2020 in China.
- The Chinese government urges their people to control their population last year.
- Ning Jizhe said that the lower birth rate is a natural result of China’s growth in its economy.
- Ning added that as countries grow in economy, there is a possibility to have lower birth rates because the population focuses on other things like education and career.
Fill in the blanks:
- The married ___________ live in the northern province of Abra.
- She would like to change her ____________ and pursue what she really want in life, becoming a musician.
- The _____________ result shows that there is a decline in population in the country.
- We _____________ our students to join school clubs.
- The ____________ was premature and had to be put in the incubator for a month.