© NPO/NOS/AVROTROS NATHAN REINDS VIA BBC NEWS
- What kinds of songs do you listen to?
- Do you listen to European singers?
- international /in-ter-NASH-uh-nl/
- postpone /pohst-POHN/
- challenge /CHAL-inj/
- entry /EN-tree/
- willing /WIL-ing/
[adjective] – involving more than one country
My father works in an international company.
[verb] – to delay an event or arrange for it to take place at a later time
They postponed the party until next year.
[noun] – something that needs great mental or physical effort in order to be done successfully and therefore tests a person’s ability
Learning mathematics is a challenge for him.
[noun] – a piece of work that you do in order to take part in a competition, or the act of taking part in a competition
What’s your entry for next month’s art contest?
[adjective] – ready, eager, or prepared to do something
Harry is willing to help us with our homework.
Eurovision 2021 is being held in Rotterdam, Netherlands. This year’s competition is symbolic because of the coronavirus and current events, and the artists see it as a challenge and mission to make sure people are safe while having fun. 29 out of the 39 contestants have re-selected their entries from last year and everyone has been practicing in Rotterdam’s Ahoy Arena for more than a week. Since then, they continue to follow the safety protocols and each person in the building must be tested every 48 hours. The Dutch government allowed a maximum of 3,500 people in the arena in each of the semi-finals and grand final.
Although difficult, each artist has expressed their excitement to make Eurovision 2021 a success. They used different techniques to avoid getting the virus when traveling to the hotels and the arena. Now, they’re more than willing to perform on stage once again.
True or False:
- This year’s Eurovision Song Contest is suspended.
- All 39 contestants re-selected their last year’s entries.
- Everyone in Rotterdam’s Ahoy Arena must be tested every 48 hours.
- A maximum of 3,500 people can enter the arena during the semi-finals and grand final.
- The artists did different ways to make sure they are safe from the virus.
Fill in the blanks:
- Don’t worry, we’re _______ to wait.
- It’s an _______ contest so anyone can join.
- Miki’s _______ in the singing contest was excellent.
- Not everyone can attend so let’s _______ the meeting.
- The entrance exam was hard. It was a real _______ for me.