- Have you been part of any organizaton? Please tell me more about it.
- What organizations are active in your country?
- continent /KON-tn-uhnt/
- ambitious /am-BISH-uhs/
- pace /peys/
- threat /thret/
- overall /OH-ver-awl/
[noun] – one of the seven large land masses on the earth’s surface, surrounded, or mainly surrounded, by ocean and usually consisting of various countries
Antarctica is the world’s coldest continent and the hardest to visit.
[adjective] – if a plan or idea is ambitious, it needs a great amount of skill and effort to be successful or be achieved
The government has announced an ambitious program to modernize the road.
[noun] – the speed at which someone or something moves, or with which something happens or changes
She slowed her pace a little.
[noun] – a suggestion that something unpleasant or violent will happen, especially if a particular action or order is not followed
The area is under threat from the large number of tourists using it.
[adjective] – in general rather than in particular, or including all the people or things in a particular group or situation
The overall cost of the exhibition was $ 40,000.
Thanks to a collaboration between Conservation International and other environmental and social non-profits including The Pew Charitable Trusts, the Global Environment Facility, Minderoo Foundation, and the Rob and Melani Walton Foundation, the Blue Nature Alliance has raised $125 million to protect the ocean from these threats. Antarctica, Fiji, Canada, Seychelles, Palau, the Western Indian Ocean, and Tristan da Cunha, a South Atlantic Ocean island, are the Alliance’s initial target areas. These areas, which span over 2.5 million square miles, account for more than a third of the overall target. It says it will start by focusing on conservation in these areas, working with local communities and national leaders to create new marine protected areas (MPAs), and improve management of existing ones.
- According to the article, what was said to be ambitious?
- Who is the CEO of Conservation International?
- What are the oraganizations that collaborated with Conservation International?
- How much did the Blue Nature Alliance raise to protect the ocean from threats?
- What are the Alliance’s initial target areas?
- Will this initiative be successful? Why do you thnk so?
- Why do you think this initiative is described as audacious?
- Why does the Blue Alliance need to collaborate with local communities and national leaders? Please explain your answer.
- Have you ever volunteered for this kind of environmental initiative? Please tell me more about it.
- How do you conserve water at home? Please tell me more about it.