©Bombardier via CNN News
- Do you like traveling by plane?
- When was the last time you traveled by plane?
- nearly /NEER-lee/
- flight /flahyt/
- adore /uh-DOHR/
- issue /ISH-oo/
- delay /dih-LEY/
[adverb] – almost, or not completely
It was nearly 9 p.m. when she arrived home.
[noun] – a journey in an aircraft
How was your flight to Manila?
[verb] – to like something very much
She adores singing on stage.
[noun] – a subject or problem that people are thinking and talking about
Climate change is a global issue.
[noun] – the situation in which you have to wait longer than expected for something to happen
There’s going to be a delay in the delivery of food.
The Learjet, originally from a family of a Swiss fighter jet, was named after aviation and electronic founder Bill Lear. Many passengers adored the Learjet’s airplane cabin where they can sit comfortably like in a family car. But it had one big problem: the cabin height is merely 4’4″ (1.32 meters). Back in the 1960s, it wasn’t an issue but as the generation progresses, so do its demands. It’s no match to the cabin height of Bombardier’s Global 7500/8000 aircraft that is 6’2″ (1.8 meters). The Learjet also had a 2,000-mile range that was perfect for those who want to travel by air without any delay. But the international economy and business flights changed from the 1970s to the 1990s, meaning the Learjet’s flying capacity was no longer enough. Nowadays, jets can go over 6,000 miles in more than 12 hours.
Sadly, the Learjet can no longer keep up with current airplanes. As the world advances, so do the modes of transportation. But we should never forget what started the development in air travel: the legendary Learjet itself.
True or False:
- The Learjet had delivered 3,000 of its planes since 1963.
- Bombardier announced the end of the Learjet’s production in February.
- The Learjet was named after a Swiss trial fighter jet.
- Bombardier’s Global 7500/8000 aircraft has 1.8-meter cabins.
- Latest jets can cover 6,000 miles in less than 12 hours.
Fill in the blanks:
- The _______ to San Francisco was a long one.
- Sorry for the _______, but here are the papers you requested.
- The girl _______ fell into the river. We were all so worried.
- Being late has always been his _______.
- Sasha _______ going to the cinema with her best friends.