© Getty Images
- Have you participated in any environmental activities?
- Do you know climate change?
- anti- /AN-tahy,/
- energy /EN-er-jee/
- instead of /in-STED-dof/
- experience /ik-SPEER-ee-uhns/
- immediately /ih-MEE-dee-it-lee/
[prefix] – opposed to or against
The organization started an anti-bullying campaign at school.
[noun] – the power from something such as electricity or oil that can do work, such as providing light and heat
Solar energy is the energy given off by the sun’s rays.
[preposition] – in place of someone or something
We used whole wheat bread instead of white bread in making these sandwiches because it’s healthier.
[verb] – If you experience something, it happens to you, or you feel it
The residents experienced power blackouts due to the typhoon.
[adverb] – now or without waiting or thinking
The artist apologized immediately for his behavior.
True or False:
- Up to 5,000 students are expected to join the protests across Australia.
- The campaign “School Strike 4 Climate” were started by teachers to call for action against climate change.
- Coal, oil, and gas are fossil fuels.
- Australia’s average temperature increased by 1.4 degrees Celsius.
- Critics and protesters insist that the government should use less harmful energy sources instead of fossil fuels.
Fill in the blanks:
- I sit in front of the computer for long periods of time so my mom bought me a pair of _________radiation glasses.
- He ____________ a lot of stress before the test.
- More people should be using cleaner sources of __________ to save the environment.
- You probably picked up my notebook _____________ yours.
- The politician ____________ resigned from his position when the scandal came out.