© Getty Images
- In what environmental activities have you participated?
- What do you know about climate change?
- youth /yooth/
- protest /PROH-test/
- face /feys/
- criticism /KRIT-uh-siz-uhm/
- pressure /PRESH-er/
[noun] – young people, both male and female, considered as a group
The young celebrity acts as a spokesperson to represent the opinion of today’s youth.
[verb] – to show that you disagree with something by standing somewhere, shouting, carrying signs, etc.
Several low-wage earners gathered at the plaza to protest against the rising cost of basic necessities.
[verb] – to deal with a difficult situation
Traffic is just one of the problems the daily commuters have to face.
[noun] – the act of saying that something or someone is bad
The organization’s officers faced severe criticism due to funds mismanagement.
[verb] – to strongly persuade someone to do something they do not want to do
Shiela’s relatives are always pressuring her to get married.
Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison is pressured to reduce pollution. But at a global summit held last month, Morrison rejected demands to set higher goals even when other nations promised to reduce emissions. According to the country’s science and weather agencies, Australia has warmed up by 1.4 degrees Celsius on average since national records began in 1910. Because of this, extreme weather events and increased forest fires were experienced in the last century. The government has vowed to reduce greenhouse gas emissions but will focus on using technology. Critics and youth protesters argue that the Australian government should focus on renewable energy resources instead of gas.
- What is “School Strike 4 Climate”?
- How many people are expected to attend the protests?
- What solutions do youth protesters propose to fight climate change?
- By how much did the average temperature warm up in Australia?
- What are the effects of the increased temperature in the country?
- Do you agree with the Prime Minister’s decision? Why or why not?
- Why are renewable sources of energy better than coal, oil, and gas?
- What can the youth do to help solve climate change?
- What does it mean when people say that climate change is a “race against time”?
- How do you minimize carbon emissions in your own ways?