- Do you want to live in a foreign land?
- If you had a chance, where would you like to live?
- well-known /wel-nohn/
- headline /HED-lahyn/
- issue /ISH-oo/
- lack /lak/
- admire /ad-MAHYUHR/
[adjective] – known or recognized by many people
A well-known author translated the novel.
[noun] – a line of words printed in large letters as the title of a story in a newspaper, or the main points of the news that are broadcast on television or radio
The news of his success was put in headlines across all the newspapers.
[noun] – a subject or problem that people are thinking and talking about
This issue has caused wide public concern.
[noun] – the fact that something is not available or that there is not enough of it
Her only problem is a lack of confidence.
[verb] – to find someone or something attractive and pleasant to look at
He pretends to admire me, though privately he hates me.
“Thanks to all the publicity, we had a lot of requests,” says Giuseppe Mangiapane, the mayor of Cammarata, who entered office in the middle of the pandemic in October 2020. He also adds, “Cammarata is a stunning town — it’s like the panoramic terrace of inland Sicily because you can admire all the marvels of the island — even Etna’s eruptions, many miles away, from here. Anyone who comes falls in love immediately. However, unfortunately, the pandemic starting the same year as the project was launching, blocked everything.” However, as the virus spread, something else began to happen. The younger generation of Cammarata returned home. One of them is Ornella Ancona, 28. After leaving Sicily a decade ago to study and travel abroad, she’d spent the last five years in the United Kingdom.
In January 2021, she did, however, return. She felt that the outbreak had altered her perspective on life. It had also kindle her interest in returning to Sicily for a while. She also returned with a desire to re-establish bonds with the people and places she left behind. The peaceful surroundings and genuine warmth of the villagers have been her best medicine after such a trying year.
True or False:
- The Sicilian village of Cammarata made world headlines in 2019 because of its bold bid for new residents.
- The project failed due to a lack of supply of food.
- Giuseppe Mangiapane is the mayor of Cammarata.
- As the virus spread, the younger generation of Cammarata returned home.
- Ornella Ancona returned with a desire to re-establish bonds with the people and places she left behind.
Fill in the blanks:
- The restaurant is __________ for its friendly atmosphere and excellent dishes.
- I __________ her dedication to the job.
- I just saw the __________. However, I didn’t have time to read the article.
- Her eyes ached from __________ of sleep.
- We thank you for raising the __________.