- Would you like to live in a foreign land? Please tell me more about it.
- What kinds of housing programs do you know about?
- bold /bohld/
- resident /REZ-i-duhnt/
- apply /uh-PLAHY/
- shortage /SHAWR-tij/
- stunning /STUHN-ing/
[adjective] – not frightened of danger
She was a bold and fearless woman.
[noun] – a person who lives or has their home in a place
The residents became angry because of the lack of parking spaces.
[verb] – to request something, usually officially, especially in writing or by sending in a form
I had seen the job advertisement. However, it was already too late to apply.
[noun] – a situation in which there is not enough of something
Shortage of water is a growing problem.
[adjective] – extremely beautiful or attractive
I’ve never seen a more stunning view in my life.
“Thanks to all the publicity, we had a lot of requests,” says the mayor of Cammarata, Giuseppe Mangiapane, who took office in the middle of the pandemic in October 2020. He also adds, “Cammarata is a stunning town — it’s like the panoramic terrace of inland Sicily because you can admire all the marvels of the island — even Etna’s eruptions, many miles away, from here. Anyone who comes falls in love immediately. However, unfortunately, the pandemic starting the same year as the project was launching, blocked everything.” As the infection spread, though, something else started to happen. Cammarata’s younger generation began to return home. Ornella Ancona, 28, is one of them. She’d spent the previous five years in the United Kingdom after leaving Sicily a decade ago to study and travel abroad.
She did, however, return in January 2021. She claimed that the epidemic had changed her outlook on life. And, it had made her want to return to Sicily for a while. She also returned with a wish to re-establish a connection with the people and place from where she came from. After such a tough year, the locals’ tranquil setting and genuine warmth have been her best medicine.
- Was Sicily’s €1 home program successful?
- Why were Cammarata’s local authorities overwhelmed?
- Who is the mayor of Cammarata?
- How many years did Ornella Ancona stay in the United Kingdom?
- Why did Ornella Ancona return to Sicily in January 2021?
- Why did many people apply for the initiative?
- Is Sicily’s €1 home scheme a good idea? Why do you think so?
- If Covid did not happen, would the home scheme be successful? Why or why not?
- If you had a chance, would you like to live in Sicily? Why or why not?
- What kind of perspective did Covid bring to your life?