- Do you smoke?
- Are cigarette commercials shown on TV in your country?
- smoker /SMOH-ker /
- habit /HAB-it/
- result /ri-ZUHLT/
- progress /PROG-res/
- addicted /uh-DIK-tid/
[noun] – someone who smokes tobacco regularly
Matt is a heavy smoker. He smokes 2 packs of cigarettes a day.
[noun] – something that you do often and regularly, sometimes without knowing that you are doing it
I always brush my teeth after waking up out of habit.
[noun] – something that happens or exists because of something else
What was the result of your exam?
[noun] – movement to an improved or more developed state, or to a forward position
He is making progress in his English studies.
[adjective] – unable to stop taking drugs, or doing something as a habit
I think Martha is addicted to video games.
True or False:
- Smokers all over the world reached 1.1 billion according to studies.
- 2/3 of the world’s smokers come from half of all countries in the world.
- In 2019, deaths related to smoking reached 10 million worldwide.
- Marissa Reitsma is the lead author of the study.
- According to the study’s lead author, 89% of new smokers become addicted to smoking by 25 years old.
Fill in the blanks:
- She made little __________ with her violin studies.
- We are really worried about Jessie. She’s a heavy ___________.
- He goes to the park after school out of __________.
- What was the _________ of your Science test?
- She is ___________ to her mobile phone. You can rarely see her without holding hers.