©CHRISTIE’S IMAGES LTD, 2021 via BBC NEWS
- Do you like going to museums?
- Are there many museums in your area?
- price /prahys/
- ex- /eks-/
- century /SEN-chuh-ree/
- international /in-ter-NASH-uh-nl/
- antique /an-TEEK/
[noun] – the amount of money for which something is sold
Could you tell me the ticket price, please?
[prefix] – used to show that someone is no longer what they were
John Brown was an ex-professor in our university.
[noun] – the time when one century (=100 years) ends and another begins
He was a famous writer in the 18th century.
[adjective] – involving more than one country
My brother won an international archery competition.
[noun] – something made in an earlier period and valued because it is old, rare, or of high quality
We bought that clock from an antique shop.
True or False:
- The original Mona Lisa painting will be sold at Christie’s.
- The Mona Lisa Hekking is named after its ex-owner.
- Hekking bought the original painting in Nice, Italy.
- One of Louvre Museum’s employees stole the original Mona Lisa.
- The original painting was never recovered after it was stolen.
Fill in the blanks:
- My grandmother owns the _______ paintings.
- The total _______ is 2,500 yen.
- He works in an _______ company so he speaks English really well.
- My uncle is an _______policeman. He used to write crime reports.
- Natsume Sōseki was a famous novelist in the 20th _______.