©River Monsters: The murky world of giant freshwater fish via CNN
- Have you heard about the arapaima before?
- Do you consider yourself an environmentalist?
- weigh /wey/
- favorite /FEY-ver-it/
- scientist /SAHY-uhn-tist/
- defend /dih-FEND/
- result /ri-ZUHLT/
[verb] – to have a heaviness of a stated amount, or to measure the heaviness of an object
I weigh ten and a half kilograms.
[noun] – best liked or most enjoyed
Oranges are my favorite fruit.
[noun] – an expert who studies or works in one of the sciences
Einstein was a great scientist.
[verb] – to protect someone or something against attack or criticism; to speak in favor of someone or something
She had to defend herself against the wild dog.
[noun] – something that happens or exists because of something else
Losing weight is an indirect result of smoking cigarettes.
True or False:
- The arapaima is one of the world’s largest freshwater fish.
- The arapaima can crush its food with its toothy tongue.
- The US Air Force has taken notice of the strong but flexible qualities of its scales.
- The arapaima population began to decline in the 1880s.
- The arapaima is still endangered today.
Fill in the blanks:
- These causes led to a bad __________.
- Please __________ in all the suitcases.
- Perseverance is a quality that a __________ must have.
- Spaghetti is one of my __________ foods.
- A family must __________ its home against attack.