- Do you prefer having meetings or discussing things via email? Why?
- How do you express your emotions or intentions through text?
- cue /kyoo/
- remotely /ri-MOHT-lee/
- patch /pach/
- enthusiasm /en-THOO-zee-az-uhm/
- intention /in-TEN-shuhn/
[noun] – a signal for someone to do something
Their failure became their cue to do better next time.
[adverb] – employees who work remotely work mainly from home and communicate with the company by email and telephone
ABC Company allows its employees to work remotely.
[verb] – to treat someone’s injuries or repair the damage to something, especially hastily
I managed to patch up the printer before my shift ended.
[noun] – strong feeling of excitement
The children felt enthusiasm from the stage actors’ performance.
[noun] – something that you want and plan to do
William showed no intention of agreeing to their ideas.
Leadership expert Erica Dhawan refers to them as “digital body language.” These are cues that signal the mood and meaning of words we say in digital communication. A survey from 2,000 employees showed that 70% of the respondents pointed to poor digital communication as their main issue from working remotely. Workers are unconsciously wasting about four working hours in a week; that’s around 10% a day. So how do we patch these issues up? Emojis and punctuations. Dhawan recommends, for example, adding a fist bump emoji to show mutual agreement or replacing “Regards.” with “Thanks!” when signing off to show more enthusiasm. When in video calls, participants should raise their hands before speaking. If there are interruptions like an incoming call, properly excusing yourself would show that you respect the people in the meeting.
It’s difficult to truly express our thoughts and intentions through digital communication. But it’s a must to perfect digital body language to avoid confusion and misunderstandings when communicating behind our screen’s devices.
- What is “digital body language”?
- What did 70% of the survey respondents point to as their main issue in remote working?
- Based on the article, how many hours do workers unintentionally waste in a week?
- How do we show more enthusiasm when signing off from work?
- What should video call participants do before speaking?
- Have you experienced any of the digital communication issues mentioned in the article? Please tell me more about it.
- Please share an instance where you misunderstood the intention of someone’s message in digital communication.
- How would you show your appreciation toward someone using texts?
- Is using emojis acceptable in work emails?
- How can we improve our skills in understanding digital body language?