©Kimimasa Mayama / Reuters / Alamy
- How often do you watch the news?
- How much information do you get about other countries from watching the news?
- gather /GATH-er/
- significant /sig-NIF-i-kuhnt/
- disaster /dih-ZAS-ter/
- freedom /FREE-duhm/
- destruction /dih-STRUHK-shuhn/
[verb] – when people or animals gather, they come together in a group
The employees will gather for the meeting at 9:00 a.m.
[adjective] – important or noticeable
Graduation is a significant event in every student’s life.
[noun] – (an event that results in) great harm, damage, or death, or serious difficulty
California experienced various disasters this year.
[noun] – the condition or right of being able or allowed to do, say, think, etc. whatever you want to, without being controlled or limited
You should have the freedom to choose the career you like.
[noun] – the act of destroying something, or the fact of being destroyed
We witnessed the destruction of the oldest house on the street.
In 2013, Japan came to aid the Philippines when Typhoon Haiyan caused massive destruction in the country. The two countries have conducted 17 naval drills since January 2015.
- When will the training be held?
- Where will the training be held?
- How did Japan Embassy describe the event?
- What led Japan Embassy to announce the event?
- Why did Japan help the Philippines in 2013?
- Have you seen a cargo aircraft?
- Before reading this, have you already heard of the South China Sea issue?
- If you were part of the event, what safety tips would you share during disaster discussions?
- Do you agree that the joint airforce exercises will be a significant event?
- In your opinion, should joint exercises be done more often? Please explain your answer.