©Philippe Bosse via Netflix
- Do you like watching funny movies?
- What is your favorite funny movie?
- comedy /KOM-i-dee/
- fill in /FIL-in/
- insist /in-SIST/
- feel-good /FEEL-good/
- outside the box /OUT-sahyd thuh boks/
[noun] – a (type of) film, play, or book that is intentionally funny either in its characters or its action
I like watching comedies more than drama.
[phrasal verb] – to do someone else’s work for them because they cannot or will not do it themselves
Could you fill in for me while I am on vacation?
[verb] – to say firmly or demand forcefully, especially when others disagree with or oppose what you say
He insisted that he did nothing wrong.
[adjective] – causing happy and positive feelings about life
I love watching feel-good movies after a tiring day.
[idiom] – when a person thinks or goes outside the box, he/she thinks differently or uniquely
We must always think outside the box to get more sales.
The film begins at the funeral of Matt’s wife, who died of a heart illness after giving birth to their daughter. Upset of the recent happenings, Matt refused the request of his mother-in-law to fill in for taking care of their daughter in Minnesota. Matt insisted on raising Maddy by himself while having a challenging job. The movie shows a mix of emotions—from the pain of Matt after losing his wife, the questions about his skills as a parent, to some visual jokes like putting the diaper genie under a toy basketball hoop.
In this feel-good film, Hart successfully went outside the the box of comedy, showing his emotional side not commonly similar to his previous films and shows.
True or False:
- Netflix has started showing the film “Fatherhood” last May 18.
- The film’s main character, Matt, was played by comedian Kevin Hart.
- The story of the movie begins at the funeral of Matt’s wife.
- Matt’s wife died of brain cancer.
- Matt’s mother-in-law offered him to look after his daughter back in Arizona.
Fill in the blanks:
|comedy||fill in||insist||feel-good||outside the box|
- Kevin _______ on paying the damages of the car that he bumped.
- Mary likes watching romantic _______.
- You must go _______ to win the competition.
- The vice president will _______ for the president who’s in a business trip.
- I listen to _______ music to lessen my stress.