- Do you have a pet? Tell me more about it.
- What do you usually do when a pet is sick?
- residence /REZ-i-duhns/
- infection /in-FEK-shuhn/
- detect /dih-TEKT/
- veterinary /VET-er-uh-ner-ee/
- disease /dih-ZEEZ/
[noun] – a home
They were hoping to turn a children’s home into a residence for adolescent girls.
[noun] – a disease in a part of your body that is caused by bacteria or a virus
The immune system is our body’s shield against infection.
[verb] – to notice something that is partly hidden or not clear, or to discover something, especially using a special method
The dentist could detect no decay in her teeth.
[adjective] – connected with taking care of the health of animals
In such cases, we consult the veterinary experts.
[noun] – (an) illness of people, animals, plants, etc., caused by infection or a failure of health rather than by an accident
She suffered from a deadly disease.
According to the study’s authors, there has been no indication of pet-to-owner transmission to date, though it would be impossible to detect while the virus was still easily spread between humans. The majority of pets who are infected are asymptomatic or have only minor Covid symptoms. Researchers from Utrecht University sent a mobile veterinary clinic to households in the Netherlands where Covid had been detected in the preceding 200 days.
“Blood samples were tested for antibodies that indicated a previous exposure to Covid, and swabs were taken from their pet cats and dogs to check for signs of infection. The findings were presented at the European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases:
•4.2 percent of the subjects had an active infection.
• Antibodies were discovered in 17.4 percent of the people who took part in the study.
According to follow-up investigations, all of the PCR-positive (polymerase chain reaction) animals were able to clear the infection and produce antibodies. According to researchers, viruses are more likely to go from human to animal than the other way around.”
- What is the potential risk that pets could do?
- What were found in six cats and seven dogs?
- What is Dr. Els Broens’ opinion on this matter?
- What did the researchers from Utrecht University send to households in the Netherlands?
- What were the findings that were presented at the European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases?
- Have you heard about human to animal viral transmission?
- Do you know anyone who was infected by Covid?
- What would you do if your pet were infected by Covid?
- Do you agree with the idea that pets could transmit the virus to the human population?
- In your opinion, what should be done to avoid infecting pets?