©Edgard Garrido via Reuters
- What sport/s do you play?
- Who is your favorite athlete?
- compete /kuhm-PEET/
- proud /proud/
- experience /k-SPEER-ee-uhns/
- achievement /uh-CHEEV-muhnt/
- arrival /uh-RAHY-vuhl/
[verb] – to take part in a race or competition
Several students competed in the school’s sports festival.
[adjective] – feeling pleasure and satisfaction because you or people connected with you have done or got something good
I’m truly proud of what you have become.
[verb] – if you experience something, it happens to you, or you feel it
We experienced skiing during our Denmark trip.
[noun] – something very good and difficult that you have succeeded in doing
Everyone congratulates him on his marvelous achievement.
[noun] – the act of coming to a place
The arrival of the two competing teams caused excitement to the crowd.
Diaz made her country proud by bringing home a gold medal from the international sports competition. She also set an Olympic record by lifting a combined weight of 224. However, her road to Tokyo was not as easy as it may seem. She experienced a lot of challenges along the road–one of which is to raise a budget for her training–but that did not stop her from raising her country’s flag on the grandest sporting stage. Before Diaz’s recent achievement, the Philippines won only a total of 10 Olympic medals–three silver and seven bronze– since its first arrival in the sporting event almost a century ago in 1924.
Before her recent success, Diaz already made her country proud by also winning gold in the 2018 Asian Games and Roma 2020 World Cup. Certainly, in the middle of this COVID-19 mess, Diaz’s win gave hope to her struggling homeland.
True or False:
- Hidilyn Diaz is a 30-year-old weightlifter from Cebu, Philippines.
- Diaz competed in the women’s 100kg class.
- Hidilyn faced a lot of difficulties on the road to the Olympics, including a lack of budget for her training.
- The 2021 Olympics is held in Tokyo, Japan.
- Diaz also won silver medals in the 2018 Asian Games and Roma 2020 World Cup.
Fill in the blanks:
- The athletes were warmly welcomed home for their recent _______.
- You will _______ some minor discomfort during the treatment.
- The sudden _______ of guests forced her to change her plans.
- Twenty athletes will _______ in the swimming championship.
- The teacher felt _______ of her students’ development.