©Edgard Garrido via Reuters
- What sport/s are you good at?
- What do you think is the most popular sport in the world?
- victory /VIK-tuh-ree/
- category /KAT-i-gawr-ee/
- bag /bag/
- a piece of cake /uh-PEES-ov-keyk/
- complacent /kuhm-PLEY-suhnt/
[noun] – an occasion when you win a game, competition, election, war, etc. or the fact that you have won
The team’s victory has brought pride to the country.
[noun] – (in a system for dividing things according to appearance, quality, etc.) a type, or a group of things having some features that are the same
Which category does this item fall under?
[verb] – to win something, especially a prize
Madrid bagged the championship title in the recent football competition.
[idiom] – something that is very easy to do
“The exam was a piece of cake,” Ben said proudly.
[adjective] – feeling so satisfied with your own abilities or situation that you feel you do not need to try any harder
He lost the competition because of being too complacent.
Diaz made history as the first Filipino athlete to bag a gold medal at the international sporting event. She also set an Olympic record, lifting a combined weight of 224 kilograms and the 127 kilograms she lifted in the clean and jerk event. Be that as it may, her road to Tokyo was not a piece of cake. She faced a lot of difficulties along the way, struggling to raise a budget for her training, but that did not stop her from raising her country’s flag on the grandest sporting stage. Before her win, the Philippines won only a total of 10 medals–three silver and seven bronze– since its first appearance in the Olympics almost a century ago in 1924. Indeed, Diaz’s win gave hope to a nation struggling due to the current COVID-19 crisis.
Before her recent success, Diaz already made her country proud after winning gold in the 2018 Asian Games and Roma 2020 World Cup. Those two gold medals, however, did not make her complacent, knowing that an Olympic gold would be a massive present and sign of hope for her nation.
- What province in the Philippines was Hidilyn Diaz from?
- In what category of weightlifting did Diaz compete?
- According to the article, what particular struggle did Diaz encounter while training for the Olympics?
- Prior to Diaz’s victory, how many medals have the Philippines won in the previous Olympics?
- What are the two other international sports competitions in which Diaz bagged gold medals?
- Who are some of the famous athletes in your country?
- What sports do you like to watch live? How about on TV?
- If you had the chance to join any international sports competition, where would it be?
- Do you think everybody should practice sports?
- In sporting events like the Olympics, should governments fully support their athletes morally and financially? Why or why not?