©Kazunori Takishima via CNN
- Do you play any sport?
- What is the most exciting Olympic sport for you?
- allow /uh-LOU/
- spend /spend/
- past /past/
- disappointment /dis-uh-POINT-muhnt/
- beat /beet/
[verb] – to give permission for someone to do something, or to not prevent something from happening
She doesn’t allow her children to eat sugary foods.
[verb] – to give money as a payment for something
She spent a lot of money on food this month.
[adjective] – used to refer to a period of time before and until the present
The candy store has been the favorite of children for the past 20 years.
[noun] – the feeling of being disappointed
The runner expressed his disappointment after losing the race.
[verb] – to defeat or do better than
I practiced hard to beat my cousin in our tennis match.
His love for the Olympics began in 2005 when he saw Shizuka Arakawa, a Japanese figure skater, win a gold medal. “When I see the athletes’ tears of happiness when winning or their tears of disappointment at losing, it makes me want to work harder,” he shared. Takishima also wanted to break the Guinness World Record for attendance at Olympic events. But that dream would have to wait. “While I can still move, I plan to see all the games from the opening to the closing (ceremonies). I can hopefully beat the record.” he said.
At the end of the day, the safety of everyone is still the most important thing at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics. Takishima, along with thousands of fans can still support their favorite athletes at the comfort of their own houses. The next Olympic games (2024) will be held in Paris, France.
True or False:
- For the past 15 years, Takishima has been traveling the world to support Japan at the Olympics.
- Takishima’s love for the Olympics started in 2005.
- Shizuka Arakawa won a gold medal in 2005.
- Takishima hopes to beat the Guinness World Record attendance at Olympic events.
- The 2024 Olympics will be held in Paris, France.
Fill in the blanks:
- Carlos ______ all his money on new clothes.
- The apartment owners do not _____ pets.
- I’ve been working as a teacher for the ______ 15 years.
- You need to do your best to ______ the world record.
- We saw the ________ on Hannah’s face.