- Do you like working from home?
- What is the usual daily temperature in your place?
- unless /uhn-LES/
- energy-efficient /EN-er-jee-ih-FISh-uhnt/
- promote /pruh-MOHT/
- option /OP-shuhn/
- property /PROP-er-tee/
[conjunction] – except if
Don’t call me unless it’s a real emergency.
[adjective] – using little electricity, gas, etc.
Using energy-efficient electrical appliances reduces the monthly electric bill.
[verb] – to encourage people to like, buy, use, do, or support something
She’s in London to promote her new book.
[noun] – one thing that can be chosen from a set of possibilities, or the freedom to make a choice
We have the option of going or not.
[noun] – an object or objects that belong to someone
This house is my only property.
Air conditioning alone could contribute to a 0.5°C rise in global temperature by 2100. The Passivhaus Trust promotes Passivhaus-certified buildings that are both energy-efficient and livable. According to John Palmer of the Passivhaus Trust, the government aims to build 300,000 new homes every year, all of which must be built to withstand the heat without the use of energy-intensive air conditioning.
Mr. Palmer added that exterior shutters or overhangs that provide shade in the summer but don’t block light in the winter when the sun is low in the sky are a better option for someone’s property.
True or False:
- During the pandemic, up to 30% of workers in the UK worked from home.
- Health and productivity will suffer unless houses can be kept cool in the summer and heated in the winter.
- The Passivhaus Trust promotes Passivhaus-certified buildings that are both energy-efficient and livable.
- Air conditioning alone could contribute to a 0.5°C rise in global temperature by 2100.
- According to Mr. Palmer, the government aims to build 100,000 new homes every year.
Fill in the blanks:
- You will fail __________ you work hard.
- This __________ is preferable to any other.
- An ecological building would also be moderately more __________.
- He did this to __________ American exports.
- The value of __________ has decreased.