©Jake Michaels, courtesy of Setanta Books
- Are you dependent on technology? Please tell me more about it.
- How important is modern technology for you?
- society /suh-SAHY-i-tee/
- disregard /dis-ri-GAHRD/
- domestic /duh-MES-tik/
- agriculture /AG-ri-kuhl-cher/
- threat /thret/
[noun] – all the people in a country, or several similar countries, can be referred to as a society
Natural disasters are a common hazard to society.
[verb] – to not allow something to influence you; ignore
Liam seems to always disregard his safety.
[adjective] – relating to a person’s own country
Domestic oil prices are expected to rise this autumn.
[noun] – farming
Agriculture is the foundation of the country’s economy.
[noun] – a suggestion that something unpleasant or violent will happen, especially if a particular action or order is not followed
Pollution is a huge threat to our health.
They’re groups of Christians who have disregarded modern technology, and in some cases, including electricity. Belize’s colonies go way back to the 1950s when over 3,000 Canadian Mennonites moved from Mexico. They had an agreement with the Belizean government and were offered land, freedom, and tax exemptions. In return, Mennonites dominate the country’s domestic poultry and dairy markets. Photographer Jake Michaels visited three Mennonite colonies to document their traditional lifestyle. He was surprised by how friendly they are. Spending more time in their family homes, Michaels discovered a world stuck in time, where life is centered on families free from modernity. However, the communities are highly dependent on agriculture and labor, so their literacy rate is low and only 5% of the population completed secondary education.
Although conservative, some possess electronic gadgets such as cellphones and digital cameras. Fortunately, having access to technology isn’t perceived as a threat to their society. “It definitely impacted the way that I shoot going forward,” Michaels said. “It made me more interactive and more social with people rather, than just taking photos.”
- Where is Belize located?
- Who are the Mennonites?
- According to the article, what do the Mennonites dominate in Belize?
- Who visited three Mennonite communities?
- How many percent of the Mennonites’ population finished secondary education?
- Have you ever been in a situation where you had no access to modern technology? Please tell me more about it.
- For you, how difficult is it to not have electronic gadgets or modern technology?
- If you were one of the Mennonites, do you think you would survive a week without modern technology? Why or why not?
- Why do you think the Mennonites continue to live traditionally?
- How important is education in an isolated community?