©Getty Images via BBC
- component /uh/
- output /OUT-poot/
- worsen /WUR-suhn/
- funding /fuhnd-ing/
- legislation /lej-is-LEY-shuhn/
[noun] – a part that combines with other parts to form something bigger
Fruit is an essential component of a healthy diet.
[noun] – an amount of something produced by a person, machine, factory, country, etc
The average output of the factory is 30 cars a day.
[verb] – to become worse or to make something become worse
This problem is going to worsen if we stay here and do nothing.
[noun] – money given by a government or organization for an event or activity
Many people contributed to the funding of the new school.
[noun] – a law or set of laws suggested by a government and made official by a parliament
The legislation will be hard to enforce in these hard times.
Toyota is expected to make some cuts in August at its plants in Japan and other sites. The majority of the cuts (360,000) will come in September and will affect factories in Asia and the US. The global ship shortage is also causing problems to other sectors. Apple had to delay the release of its iPhones, while Xbox and Playstation consoles failed to meet the demand. According to Pat Gelsinger, the CEO of chipmaker Intel, the shortage would worsen in the “second half of this year” and it would take “a year or two” before supplies returned to normal. In light of the chip crisis, US President Joe Biden signed an official order to address the issue. He pledged to seek $37bn in funding for legislation to increase chip manufacturing in the US. Toyota saw a 4.4% decrease in shares on August 19, 2021, their biggest daily drop since December 2018. The goal for the company is to make up for any lost bulk by the end of 2021.
- Have you ever been in a situation where you faced limited resources/shortage? Please tell me more about it.
- Do you know anyone who works in the car industry?
- If you were the CEO of a car manufacturing company facing chip shortage, what would you do?
- Do you think that car companies would face more challenges in the future?
- In your opinion, why should the chip shortage be solved as soon as possible?