©Ronan O’Connell via BBC
- Have you been to Malaysia?
- What is Japan’s most famous city aside from Tokyo?
- capital /KAP-i-tl/
- floral /FLOHR-uhl/
- botanical /buh-TAN-i-kuhl/
- hope /hohp/
- destination /des-tuh-NEY-shuhn/
[noun] – a city that is the center of government of a country or smaller political area
Seoul is the capital of South Korea.
[adjective] – made of flowers, or decorated with pictures of flowers
My grandmother has always loved floral designs on her clothes.
[adjective] – involving or relating to plants or the study of plants
The city I live in is famous for its botanical gardens.
[verb] – to want something to happen or to be true, and usually have a good reason to think that it might
We hope to finish the project today.
[noun] – the place where someone is going
Where is our next holiday destination?
Putrajaya has modern buildings with traditional Islamic designs in the heart of the city. Tourists are rewarded with its shiny high-rise buildings of Arabesque patterns with geometric or floral decorations. Although Putrajaya only has 120,000 residents, the city’s main feature is its greenery. Parks and open spaces occupy 37% of Putrajaya’s land. The Putrajaya Botanical Garden has more than 700 groups of tropical plants and the Rimba Alam Park is home to a successfully growing city-based forest filled with native plants. Residents can also grow fruits and vegetables in the capital’s 10 shared gardens.
Putrajaya Corporation’s Communications Director Tengku Aina Ismail hopes Putrajaya to be a significant eco-tourism destination. “To make that city from nothing, just out of some old palm plantations, it’s pretty amazing.” says Kuala Lumpur resident Ramakrishna. “Hopefully more tourists come and see what Malaysia managed to achieve there. It’s something special.”
True or False:
- Putrajaya is Malaysia’s second city.
- Putrajaya has 150,000 locals.
- 47% of Putrajaya’s land is dedicated to parks and open spaces.
- Tourists can find over 700 groups of tropical plants in the Putrajaya Botanical Garden.
- Putrajaya has 10 shared gardens where residents can grow fruits and vegetables.
Fill in the blanks:
- We _______ to hear a reply from you soon.
- She wants the shirt with _______ prints.
- This town is a popular _______ for its beautiful sceneries.
- Her office is near the _______ garden.
- What is the _______ of Australia?